Miss Ellen’s Sewing Class
Class No. 37 - Bible/Book Cover
By Ellen Mason - JOY Designs
Bibles come in so many sizes --- make a paper pattern by measuring your opened Bible/Prayer book and add
1" on all sides. A book measurement of 5 ½" Wide X 8" height X 1 l/1" thick will be used for example only. If
your Bible is larger or smaller, ---- adjust the measurements.
1/3 yd. linen, denim, poplin or trigger
1/3 yd. print cotton or poly/cotton fabric for lining
Iron on felt
Trim - piping (purchased or make your own), lace or eyelet
Assorted colors embroidery threads
Poly/cotton regular sewing thread
Downloaded designs and printed instructions
1. Using the paper pattern, cut fabric for construction. See cutting diagram.
2. Hem one side of inside pockets. Drawing No. 2.
3. Place a pocket on each end of the lining and baste in place. Drawing No. 3.
4. Make carrying handles. Fold strips length wise and stitch. Turn and press with
seam in the center ( not on edges). Drawing No. 4.
5. Embroidery the outside panel using a design of your choice. Drawing No. 5.
6. Apply iron on felt to wrong side of cover.
7. Make an outside pocket. Optional - embroidery a design on pocket piece. Hem or add trim on one
long edge. Pin and baste stitch pocket to the cover fabric and then stitch 1 ½" from one side to insert a
pen/pencil. Drawing No. 6.
8. Baste stitch a trim (your choice) around edges of cover.
9. Pin carrying handles in place and then baste.
10. Place right side of lining to the right side of cover.
11. Stitch around all sides, but leave 3" opening for turning.
12. Trim corners and grade seams.
13. Turn right side out and press using a pressing cloth.
14. Hand stitch the opening closed.