MISS ELLENâ€™S SEWING CLASS
LESSON NO. 11 - HEIRLOOM CHURCH DOLL
By - Ellen Mason - JOY Designs 8/2004
1 - 16 X 18 â€œ piece of Batiste
2 - 3 X 44 strips of colored Batiste
1 - 18 piece of 1/4 Satin Ribbon (for ties on bonnet)
1 - 9 piece of 1/8 Satin Ribbon (for back of bonnet)
1 - 12 piece of twine
1 - 2 ball of batting for head
1 - 18 of lace insertion
1 Â½ yds. lace edging
Scrap batiste fabric for test stitching
4 wide X 20 long piece Badge Master
1 - 7 X 20 long Stitch n Ditch
Needles: 80 universal; 2.0 twin needle; size 100 wing needle
Thread: 1 spool white embroidery; 2 bobbins filled with embroidery thread
Sewing machine feet: Regular clear; Pintuck; Gathering.
Basic sewing kit
Sewing machine with built-in decorative stitches
1. Spray starch and press all fabrics and laces - 3 times. (Do not use ironing motions on laces â€” it may stretch).
2. Two inches from bottom edge of the white 16 width fabric, pull a thread or mark a straight line on grain.
3. Cut on this line. Keep the 2 strip for later use.
4. Fold cut edge 1/2 under and finger press.
5. Place Badge Master on level surface and pin the fabric to it.
6. Baste stitch together 3/8 from edge of fabric.
7. With one piece of the colored batiste (sample is pink), cut a 18 piece.
8. Fold under one edge 1/2 and finger press.
9. Place the pink strip on the Badge Master beside the white piece leaving at least 1/8 space. Baste stitch together as above.
10. Set up machine: embroidery thread on top and in bobbin; open toe foot; select a feather stitch, width 4.5, length 2.5.
11. Do a test stitch on a scrap piece of fabric.
12. Stitch the two pieces together with the feather stitch.
13. Taking the 2 strip white batiste, use the above procedure to stitch together to the pink strip.
14. Trim away excess Badge Master - donâ€™t try to remove it from the fagoting stitch, water will remove it.
15. Trim fabric close to the fagoting stitch, but do not cut any stitches.
16. From the first stitched feather stitch row; measure up 1 and draw a straight line across. Do not cut - this is a stitching line.
17. Change machine to the Pintuck foot and insert the twin needle.
18. With the 2nd filled bobbin, place it on the upright spindle and thread machine. You will have two threads on the machine top.
19. Thread the twin needle.
20. Do a test stitch on batiste.
21. Stitch the first pintuck across. Then stitch two other rows using the foot as a guide.
22. Remove the Pintuck foot and attach a clear foot. Remove the filled bobbin on top of the machine. Machine is still threaded
with one thread.
23. Place the Stitch n Ditch underneath the fabric. Select a built in decorative stitch. Stitch one row on each side of the pintucks.
24. On the pink insert strip â€” select and stitch other decorative stitches - your choice.
25. On the bottom white batiste strip, place the piece of lace insertion on the bottom edge and baste together on the left side of
26. Stitch along the side of the lace using an applique stitch; W-1.5, L-2; â€” the swing of the stitch should go into the lace. (The
pink ruffle will be attached to the other side of lace).
27. Trim underneath excess fabric close to the stitching.
28. If you prefer, select one or two decorative stitch and stitch down the center of the white batiste strip. (The sample has one
row of hearts).
29. With the second strip of pink batiste, attach edge lace by using a narrow zig zag stitch.
30. Change machine needle to a wing needle. Select the entredeau stitch and stitch down the edge of the attached lace.
31. Trim away excess fabric. Cut 4 - 5 inches from strip for the bonnet.
32. Remove wing needle and insert a universal 80 needle. Attach the gathering foot.
33. Refer to your machine instruction book, set the machine for a nice full gather.
34. Using the foot as a guide, gather the strip.
35. Place the gathered edge under the former lace insert. Using a narrow zig zag stitch, sew together.
36. Finish the other 3 edges by overlocking or use a machine overedge stitch.
37. Fold back 3 on the top edge. Insert ball of batting behind the face area and tie with twine. Optional: Embroidery 2 eyes
and a mouth or draw with a permanent pen.
38. Tie arms: Gather the 3 at the top corners and tie the ribbon 1 from the ends.
1. With the 4 - 5 lace trim strip, hem both ends by folding under and using a narrow zig zag stitch.
2. Fold under the other edge 1/2 and stitch for a casing.
3. Insert the 1/8 ribbon, pull fabric on ribbon to a small O and tie.
4. Attach a piece of 1/4 ribbon on each side of bonnet.
5. Place bonnet on church dollâ€™s head and tie into a bow.
Ellen Mason - JOY Designs